The initiative “Women 4OUR CLIMATE,” from the Portuguese speaking countries to the world, brings together women from all geographies and from diverse areas – scientists, businesswomen, leaders, activists, educators, mothers, politicians, journalists, influencers – in an integrated movement, active and committed to the progress and well-being of communities and the sustainability of the planet, highlighting the need for a greater balance and reconnection between human rights and climate action, focusing on the implementation of sustainable development models.
This movement responds to the commitments made by the Parties at COP 20 in Lima, through the Lima Working Program on Gender (LWPG) – (articles 17 and 18), which approved the need to promote gender equality in climate change response actions, through the development and implementation of a biennial action plan on gender and climate action, in which the Parties and organizations should provide the necessary resources for its realization. It also meets United Nations General Assembly Resolution 76/300 of 2022 on the declaration of the clean, healthy, and sustainable environment as a human right where it is emphasized that everyone will suffer the aggravated effects of environmental crises if they do not cooperate now to prevent them.
This initiative reinforces the need to disseminate and promote the importance of the work developed by women as active agents, essential in climate action, in the inseparable link between water, energy and food and in the promotion of sustainability. In the current context of war and climate crisis, food insecurity and climate risk reach emergency levels that particularly affect the most vulnerable, the poorest and the most isolated.
The COVID-19 pandemic has put the progress on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at risk. War and climate deplete the resilience of the poorest. We need not only solidarity and global solutions, but also a renewed commitment that relies on gender equality and a commitment that combines multilateralism, diplomacy, peace, and justice.
In pursuing its mission, the Women 4OUR CLIMATE initiative is committed to the achievement of the United Nations 2030 Agenda, in particular to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
– According to the United Nations, women, girls, and marginalized communities are the groups most affected by climate change and should be integrated in the design and implementation of actions to prevent and mitigate climate risk, to ensure that all can equally enjoy the benefits of these actions.
– Women are on the frontline of climate change impacts, as they are often the ones who, in different geographies, have the key role as guardians and managers of natural resources, leading to their better governance, conservation and regeneration.
– The battle against the climate crisis must recognize and integrate the fundamental role of women and their empowerment in the search for climate solutions, as these solutions cannot be opposite to an agenda of empowering the social role of women;
– The fight against climate change is framed by the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities between developed and emerging countries, which is reflected in the responsibility of each State in ensuring conditions for women’s empowerment;
– The full assumption of the role of women in fighting climate change is complementary and enhances the involvement of all other social groups, regardless of gender;
– Women have unparalleled knowledge and unique experiences, particularly at local and regional level, and specifically on the processes of adaptation to the impacts of climate change;
– Only based on reliable scientific information can informed decisions be made that support policy actions at the global level, and the increasing investment and involvement of women in knowledge production and scientific and technological development is crucial.
Thus, the signatories assume the commitment to,
ACT and LEAD by example in the fight against climate change, both through their individual and institutional actions and through the action and involvement of the organizations they represent, signing up to the following lines of action and objectives:
#1 CLIMATE POLICY, DIPLOMACY AND ACTIVISM
To promote the active participation of women in relevant moments of climate policy and diplomacy at international level, namely at the United Nations Climate Change, Biodiversity or Water Conferences.
To encourage countries, cities, and organizations to contribute to a greater involvement of women in decision-making to address the climate crisis and to identify and implement the actions necessary for adaptation processes and to build a carbon-neutral future;
To systematically integrate human rights into climate action and energy diplomacy, placing emphasis on advocacy for gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls;
To adopt fair and inclusive best practices that are helpful to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the fulfilment of the Paris Agreement;
To support the process of recognition of Climate as a Common Heritage of Humanity and contribute to the governance of this common good;
#2 -EMPOWERMENT AND CAPACITY BUILDING
To develop awareness-raising, education and training actions for women and girls to encourage the transition to a circular economy, regenerating natural cycles and adopting patterns of consumption and lifestyles that contribute to sustainable development, demonstrating the relevance of changing individual and collective behaviors;
To support the education, training and empowerment of women and girls so that they demand and achieve their space for independence and leadership, uniting efforts to create equity in health, education, economics, politics, peace, and security, highlighting that human rights and climate are inseparable;
To recognize, support, promote, fund, celebrate, engage and value women and girls from diverse backgrounds and identities, who individually or collectively advocate and promote gender equality and human rights as part of environmental/climate justice;
#3 SUSTAINABLE ENTREPRENEURSHIP
To encourage the development of circular and low carbon solutions and business models promoted by women;
To promote female entrepreneurship and empowerment in the area of green and blue economy, contributing to the creation of sustainable ecosystems that promote the participation of women and their green employability;
To support climate adaptation solutions that take into account the responsibilities that, in many cases, women have in the first line of defence and management of natural values, contributing to the protection, resilience, conservation, regeneration and valorization of ecosystems and the safeguarding of biodiversity;
To contribute to ensuring that women-led actions are sufficiently and equally funded to achieve a fair and green transition.
#4 SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND KNOWLEDGE
To consistently support women’s investment and action in understanding the functioning of the whole Earth System – (Earth System, climate and ocean sciences) and leverage knowledge transfer with the aim of contributing to greater equity in female leadership;
To support the development of new technologies and innovative solutions that enable the digital, climate, energy transition and the bioeconomy;
#5 DISSEMINATION, COMMUNICATION, PARTICIPATION
To communicate, share and disseminate cases of good practices and female success in climate and ocean action, to demonstrate, replicate and inspire other women and girls;
To engage women and girls in transformative projects and processes towards sustainability, encouraging civic participation right from the local / outreach scale;
To encourage public-private partnerships (including Academia) at national and international level towards carbon neutrality and environmental recovery;
To promote multilateral cooperation and the establishment of partnerships that contribute to the involvement of women in climate action and the development of a “new regenerative economy” based on the remuneration of natural capital.